Report Suspicious Activity
Your Safety Comes First!
If you become aware of suspicious activity, never:
- Ignore your instincts.
- Take direct action or pursue.
- Confront the individual.
If you become aware of suspicious activity, always:
- Call 911 if there is a life-threatening situation.
- When reporting suspicious activity, it helps to give the most accurate description possible.
- Notify the UT Police Department at 865-974-3114 as soon as possible and describe the events you observed:
- Brief description of the activity
- Date, time and location of the activity
- Physical identifiers of anyone you observed
- Descriptions of vehicles
- Information about where people involved in suspicious activities may have gone
- Your name and contact information (optional)
If you see something, say something!
What to Look For:
- Attempting to gain access or found in places they don’t belong
- Unusual interest in operational details and asking probing questions
- Avoiding eye contact and/or departing quickly when seen or approached
- Moving against the flow of traffic or loitering for no apparent reason
- Overdressed for the weather
- A strong odor coming from a bag or vehicle
- An overloaded vehicle or fluid leaking other than from the engine or gas tank
Other Reporting options
Report suspicious activity to the Tennessee Dept. of Safety and Homeland Security online →
A potentially dangerous person may exhibit additional warning signs that appear suspicious. Even if the person is not a threat to others, they could benefit from resources available through the university.
Visit the Center for Health Educations and Wellness for more information on these warning signs.